Dairy Free Mac and Cheese recipe from single ingredients. One of my favorite recipes and by far the hardest to photograph dishes I’ve ever encountered.
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 15 oz can coconut cream (not milk)
- 4 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbl paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz dried macaroni noodles
Brown onion and garlic with olive oil in a saute pan (don’t skip this step). Add a Tbl of water if it’s browning too quickly. Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth. Cook noodles to al dente in salted water. Reserve 1/2 cup water to add to cheez sauce (blend again), drain noodles, and mix sauce with noodles!
- Use coconut cream, not milk. See nutrition notes below to see it’s not heavy in fat or calories. Full cream makes the sauce silky, and gives a distinct mouth-feel.
- Use canned pumpkin. Some have tried using fresh pumpkin or subbing sweet potato which give too much distinct flavor and makes it weird. Canned pumpkin and better if organic.
If you make this recipe post it and tag me so that I can share it in my story! I want your feedback too!
Based on 8 servings: 338 calories, 9.2 grams protein.
*Compared to the Blue Box which is 350 calories per serving and loads of sodium and chemicals and cardboard flavor.
3 thoughts on “Creamy Plant Based Mac and Cheese”
Wow!!! I could eat this right now!!!
What is the full nutritional breakdown? Sodium? Fat?
I’ll add that to the post. 2.9 g saturated fat. 300 mg sodium. 18 g total fat. But that’s for the whole recipe! It makes 4 cups of cheese sauce.