Loosely translating to "Strange Sauce" this recipe from Sichuan cuisine of China is a combination of just about every flavor. It is sweet, salty, aromatic, spicy, earthy, and sour. No one flavor stands out and each blends together in a delicate balance to create something truly unique.
- 3 tablespoons seasoned soy sauce (*see notes above)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame paste (*see notes above)
- 2 tablespoons chili oil (*see notes above)
- 1 tablespoon chili oil sediment (The flakes at the bottom)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
Whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. Prior to serving whisk again, or shake in a sealed jar.
2-3 tablespoons of sauce is all that is needed for an individual serving. This can also be added to a coconut cream or coconut milk for a seasoned sauce; however, it is more rich if used as is.