These quick drop biscuits are a delightful side for all your soups this fall and winter season. Light and fluffy with a delicious balance between the bright jalepeno and cheesy cheddar. Biz over at MyBizzyKitchen and I made these biscuits to pair with two different soups we made which will be coming out soon. For now practice your biscuit making so you’re ready for a Butternut Squash Chipotle soup and a decadent Tomato soup.
Cheddar Jalapeno Drop Biscuits
- Microplane or box grater
- Parchment lined baking sheet
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (preference is oatmilk or Ripple dairy free milk)
- 1 Tbl lemon juice (can sub with apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbl cold butter (used Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (used Violife vegan cheese)
- 1 Tbl grated jalapeno (about 1/2 large jalapeno)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Add lemon juice to milk and let sit while you prepare other ingredients.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using the Microplane or box grater shred the butter into the dry mixture. Use a fork combine the shredded butter with the dry mixture until all butter is incorporated.
- Add the grated jalapeno and shredded cheese and combine using a fork.
- Pour milk into the mixture and use the fork to combine the dry mix and milk. Finish mixing using a heavy spoon or your hands. You want all dry to be incorporated but not over mixed which will make your biscuits too tough.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of biscuit dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet: 6 biscuits on one sheet and 4 on another.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Biscuits should look like they are starting to brown. Overcooking runs the risk of burning the exposed cheese.